Earlier this year I was fortunate enough to lead a study that examined the challenges faced by media organizations in managing digital content - in particular digital archives.
The digital-revolution has brought many advantages to media organizations and content producers, but managing file-based workflows, and in particular digital archives - has proved difficult for smaller organizations.
As part of the study, I visited nine media organizations across Nepal, Sri Lanka, Malaysia, and Thailand. The executive summary of the report I produced on behalf of Internews can be read after the break (follow the 'Read more' link).
The complete report can be viewed online here at the Internews Web site. Special thanks to Susanne Weigand. Sue's literary genius transformed my choppy writing into the smooth and very readable document that's here now.
I've been hacking on Drupal recently and so far, I like it a lot. I've also been reading a little about Drupal's deployment story, and decided that it might be fun to use Capistrano to deploy the projects I'm working on.
Pak Khlong Talat Flower Market, (ปากคลองตลาด สวนดอกไม้ค่ำคืน), Bangkok.
Pak Khlong Talat Flower Market, (ปากคลองตลาด สวนดอกไม้ค่ำคืน), Bangkok. The market is open 24 hours and is busiest late at night with suppliers bringing their product to market, and florists and other customers coming to buy. Pak Khlong Talat is the primary flower market in Bangkok.
Here's a recipe for adding (and formatting) captions to images in Drupal using Entity View Modes, File Entity, and Media 2.0. A word of warning first. All of the required modules are either unstable or dev releases and so for those not willing to deploy these modules to a production Drupal install - this article should at the least give you an idea of what's possible and what's coming.
Bash is fun. I mean it's a little weird, but it's fun. I've been reading the Linux Command Line and Shell Scripting Bible which I highly recommend. I also wanted a script I could use to update the multiple WordPress installations I'm now hosting.
I found Liz Quilty's handy WordPress mass update script 3.4.1, but wanted to refactor the script to use functions, curl, and tar (as well as remove support for WordPress MU)
And so here it is, one of a handful of Bash script exercises I've completed to-date. Enjoy, and thanks Liz for the head start.
First, a machine specific configuration file (read the warning in the comments section of the script below). Place the config file next to the script file; that is, place wp-upgrade.conf in the same directory as wp-upgrade.sh.
There have been a few reviews of the Voigtländer 12mm f/5.6 Aspherical Ultra-Wide Heliar, attached to a Sony NEX 7 via an M-mount adapter (here, here and here). The biggest problem is the magenta vignetting that occurs with this lens/body combination. I was lucky enough to have been given the Voigtländer 12mm for Christmas and I've always enjoyed shooting with an ultra-wide. I loved my Nikkor 14-24mm - although it was mammoth in size.
Above and below are a couple of holiday snaps.... and further down is the simple Lightroom 4.0 correction that can be used to remove the magenta cast. This lens is fun. With such a wide view and generally great depth of field, manual focusing is not an issue. And despite my earlier critical review of the NEX 7, I'm loving the small and light camera bag I get to carry now. Everything's nice and compact, and a lot more discrete than my previous in-your-face DSLR gear.
I recently suffered a UDP flood attack on my little virtual private server (VPS), and thought I'd describe the steps I went through to discover and fix the problem.
Periodically, my server would stall and become unresponsive. It was effectively dead, although not down. These 'stalling' events would last from 5-20 minutes, and then the server would come back up. Looking at my Munin charts told me that my public ethernet interface (eth0) was being flooded. Here's a particularly bad day:
And this was after I had rate limited eth0 to 2mbits/sec using tc (more on tc in a bit). CPU usage and interrupts for eth0 also spiked. So something was flooding eth0, and stalling the server.